The HMSA values supporting doctors in training, as well as promoting medical education both in Australia and in Greece. As such, the HMSA has available a limited number of scholarships to medical students wishing to undertake a Medical Elective in Greece.
To be eligible, you must be:
· An Australian citizen, or holder of an Australian permanent resident visa or permanent humanitarian visa
· Of Greek descent (regardless of current Greek citizenship status)
· Currently enrolled in a recognised Australian Medical Degree
· Approved to undertake a Medical Elective in Greece by both Australian Medical School and Greek healthcare service
· Willing to join the HMSA
Successful recipients will be selected based on a combination of academic achievement, a personal statement (up to 500 words) on why you should be the recipient. Financial disadvantage may also be taken into consideration. Based on their submission, applicants will be invited to an interview with a panel of HMSA board members to further discuss their application.
$1000 per scholarship. 1 scholarship is available each year.
Successful scholarship recipients cannot defer their scholarship – students wishing to defer must reapply for the scholarship in a subsequent round.
Conditions of Scholarship:
Recipients of this scholarship will be required to:
· Write an article (accompanied with photographs) about their experience for HMSA publication
· Become a member of the HMSA and present at a HMSA event
How to apply:
· Complete the scholarship application form
· Submit your application form, together with your personal statement and supporting documentation to HMSA (email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Closing Dates: To be announced
For a list of Greek hospitals according to Health Regions, please click here. Eligible students may also like to consider applying for an OS-HELP loan to assist in funding electives. Information on this scheme can be found here. For further information regarding the Scholarship and/or any other matters relating to Medical Electives or Doctors in Training, please do not hesitate to contact HMSA.